Friday, April 8, 2011

License to stroll...

Cody and Callie on the roll...
After much deliberation about strollers, Andrew and I finally decided on one.  The cadillac of twin strollers, if I do say so myself, The Baby Jogger City Select.  After waiting two weeks for the car seat adapters to arrive (that is a story for discussion outside a public forum - one about customer service and buying local versus corporate giant, and in this case, the corporate giant wins!), and another two weeks of waiting for sunshine in the great Northwest, it was time to take the stroller for a spin outside the house.  The walls in the house will thank us, as I have been testing my stroller drivers license out in the hallways of the house.  Oops.  Good thing Andrew knows how to patch and paint walls.

Trip #1 - Grandma Nancy and I venture to Kohls and Target to return preemie and newborn clothes Cody and Callie never got to wear. Success!  Only one minor meltdown which was easily resolved by our best friend, the NUK pacifier! 
Trip #2 - Gig Harbor - I needed to make a visit to our favorite jeweler, Kit Kuhn, so Grandma Nancy, Grandpa Wayne and I loaded up Cody and Callie in Grandpa Wayne's new truck and off we went.  What a gorgeous day in GH.  Took the twins for a stroll by the water and out on the dock.  They loved their trip and I loved getting some much needed vitamin D on my face!  We even managed two feedings and 4 diaper changes in the truck.  Of course we were parked, for those that are wondering.  I think we spent more time sitting in the truck feeding and changing than we did exploring GH, but it was a great day!

Grandma Nancy and Grandpa Wayne with Cody and Callie





Trip # 3 - Kirkland waterfront.  First day of sunshine in Kirkland since Cody and Callie were born.  We took full advantage.  Grandma Nancy and I loaded up the kiddos, parked at the marina and took a stroll along the lake.  It was a remarkable day in Kirkland. 


Cody sound asleep after our walk downtown Kirkland!

Finally, with the help of my parents (going out by myself is a daunting task for another day!) and our new stroller, I have my confidence that I really can manage taking two infants out and about without too much chaos, meltdowns and stress.  It is a great feeling to get out and see the world.  I am also learning that with infants it is about having patience and not being in a hurry.  In my past life, it was go, go, go.  Get there as fast as you can, find the quickest parking spot, jump out, run the errand and get on to the next task.  Nowadays, I set out for the day with only one item on the agenda... spend time with the babies no matter how long it takes.  Feed them, load them up in the car, find the parking spot that will allow enough space to get car seats out and load the stroller without banging the cars next to us, take time to stroll thru paths I never knew existed, grab a tea at Starbucks, sit on a bench by the waterfront until Cody cries, then move on to the next bench to people watch and chat with Grandma, return to the car, load up the kiddos and stroller, and head home for the next feeding.  Patience and no hurry... how different life is now.

Every day, previously, on my drive to and from work, I would drive along Lake Washington in Kirkland.  As I would pass the joggers and walkers who were out and about, I would find myself jealous of their leisure.  I would wonder what type of life they lead would allow them such a luxury to walk or jog. Were they Microsoft execs that worked from home, stay at home Moms, or retired folk that earned their way to a peaceful walk?  Either way, I wanted to be them... I wanted to be free to walk the sidewalks of Kirkland and take in all the sights that I was always too busy to notice.  Too darned busy as I drove toand from work thinking about the umpteen items on my to do list that I needed to accomplish that day or week.  So, here I am, with the newfound freedom to walk with the kiddos, to enjoy them, enjoy chatting with Grandma Nancy, and enjoy the sights.  To explore the world that was always there, but I never had the time to cherish it because I was always in a hurry to do something so important that I cannot even remember it now.  Nowadays, I get to take it all in with my babies at the lead, what a dream come true.  And while they may not quite understand the adventure just yet, I hope that they get as much out of it as I do.  More importantly, I hope that these walks and outings and newfound freedom help me become the Mom I always wanted to be! 

Amazing how much impact a new stroller can make!
 

2 comments:

  1. Again, a beautiful blog, Katie. Glad Dad and I were able to be part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an AMAZING way to see the World Katie!! You really are coming into your own. I HOPE that the sun shine continues so you can get out and explore. Your kiddos will be begging for trips in the stroller like ours do we live in a great state, well when it is not raining.

    Hugs to you and 3 months of motherhood. You make it look easy when I KNOW it is not. Love ya over and over.. Once I get done with the Boston stuff I need to come play Auntie...hugs to the Littles, Grandma Nancy and Grandpa Wayne..

    ReplyDelete